The Church of The Most Holy Virgin Mary, Queen of Poland

Identifier
DZIELO/12729
Amount
1
Catalogue note author
Justyna Kuska

History of work

The Church of The Most Holy Virgin Mary, Queen of Poland in Stróża was built in 1906-1909. Efforts to build the temple began two years earlier, in 1904, on the initiative of father Józef Wątorek from Stróża. Commune Head Wojciech Mleczek and Head of the School Józef Pitala also took action to encourage the construction. Duke Kazimierz Lubomirski donated a parcel of land from the manor area for this purpose. Eventually, however, the church was built on communal grounds. The company of Jan Hołuj of Myślenice erected the neo-gothic building in 1909. In 1911, two bells to a detached bell tower built in 1909 were funded by contributions. The temple in Stróże, consecrated in 1908, initially constituted a branch of the Myślenice parish. The first parochial vicar was Stanislaw Cholewka, then father Jan Korcz and father Lew Drozdowski. The parish in Stróże was established in 1922 and its first parish priest was Jan Fijałek.

Abstract

The Church of The Most Holy Virgin Mary, Queen of Poland in Stróża was built in 1906-1909. The company of Jan Hołuj of Myślenice erected the neo-gothic building in 1909. The temple in Stróże, consecrated in 1908, initially constituted a branch of the Myślenice parish. The parish in Stróże was established in 1922 and its first parish priest was Jan Fijałek. Furnishings of the temple represent different styles and epochs. Set of the neo-baroque altars, both the high and the side ones, originates from the beginning of the 20th century and is contemporary to the church. Stained glass windows, created in 1959-1960 and designed by Adam Bunsch, are an interesting element of the decor.

How to cite?

Justyna Kuska, "The Church of The Most Holy Virgin Mary, Queen of Poland", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2022, source:  https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/the-church-of-the-most-holy-virgin-mary-queen-of-poland

Privacy policy