Church of Madonna of Częstochowa in Gorzków

Parish
Our Lady of Częstochowa parish in Gorzków
Identifier
DZIELO/12500
Amount
1
Catalogue note author
Maria Działo

History of work

The parish church in Gorzków was built in 1910-1913 under the invocation of Our Lady Queen of Poland, consecrated in 1916 by bishop Adam Sapieha. It was erected on the ground, which was handed over by Józef Stachura, a farmer from Gorzów, when he said the words: "Thank you, Eternal Lord, the church will stand in my field." The carpentry work was carried out by local carpenters under the direction of Antoni Nawalny from Koźmice Wielkie-Bugaj. The windows in the chancel were inserted in 1917. The high altar is the work of Styczeń, a Cracovian sculptor. It is adorned with a painting of the Madonna of Częstochowa, bought at the "Witwicki" company in 1916 in Cracow. Around the painting and in the vitrines by the grand altar there are numerous votives funded by the believers who received graces through the painting. In the church there are also two side altars, sculptures for which were made by two local sculptors from Koźmice Wielkie: Władysław Jankowski and Franciszek Hajduk. The third altar is located in the chapel of the 3rd Order. The first polychrome of the church was made in 1929 by professor Tadeusz Korpal. Another one was created in 1982 by professor Stanisław Jakubczyk from Cracow together with artists from Krosno and Iwonicz. On the front wall of the church porch there is a statue of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus funded by Walenty Rzepa from Bugaj. The whole church (inside and outside) was renovated in the years 1928-1929. A ridge turret, funded in 1914 by Marcin Krawczyk of Gorzków, hangs in the church's little tower situated on the roof of the building.

Abstract

The parish church in Gorzków was built in 1910-1913 under the invocation of Our Lady Queen of Poland, consecrated in 1916 by Bishop Adam Sapieha. The carpentry work was carried out by local carpenters under the direction of Antoni Nawalny from Koźmice Wielkie-Bugaj. The church was built based on the design used for the construction of the church in Stróża. It was built in Neo-Roman style with neo-baroque elements in its interior. The high altar was made by a sculptor from Cracow, Styczeń. It is adorned with a painting of the Madonna of Częstochowa, bought at the "Witwicki" company in 1916 in Cracow. Around the painting and in the vitrines by the grand altar there are numerous votives funded by the believers who received graces through the painting. In the church there are also two side altars, sculptures for which were made by two local sculptors from Koźmice Wielkie: Władysław Jankowski and Franciszek Hajduk. The third altar was located in the chapel of the 3rd Order. On the front wall of the church porch there is a statue of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus funded by Walenty Rzepa from Bugaj. A little bell, funded in 1914 by Marcin Krawczyk of Gorzków, hangs in the church's ridge turret.

How to cite?

Maria Działo, "Church of Madonna of Częstochowa in Gorzków", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2021, source:  https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/church-of-madonna-of-czestochowa-in-gorzkow

Privacy policy