The statues of four evangelists were created before 1748, together with the high altar. Their production is attributed to the workshop of Kornecki – the likely creator of all furnishings of the church in Gdów. St. John was a fisherman, brother of St. James the Great, chosen by Jesus to be his disciple. He was the author of the Gospel, the Book of Revelation and three Letters. In iconography, he was always portrayed as a young man, because, according to tradition, he was considered the youngest, and thus the most beloved, disciple of Christ. He is portrayed with a book and an eagle, usually in the company of other evangelists.
Paulina Kluz, "St. John the Evangelist", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2021, source: https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/st-john-the-evangelist