Crucifix held by angels

Identifier
DZIELO/01326
Amount
1
Detailed dimensions
Figure height – 90 cm
Catalogue note author
Paulina Kluz

Abstract

The sculpture group depicting Christ with angels, located on a chancel arch, was created around 1748, together with all the architectural and sculptural furnishings of the church, by the workshop of the Kornecki family in Gdów. The crucifix was not originally placed on a beam, but installed diagonally downwards on a chancel arch, whereas the statues of an angel and putti held the crossbeams, as if lifting the cross. The iconography of this depiction, referring to St. Matthew's Gospel (Mt 24, 27 and 30), can be recognised as the Sign of the Son of Man, in which Christ is to come to judge the living and the dead.

How to cite?

Paulina Kluz, "Crucifix held by angels", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2021, source:  https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/crucifix-held-by-angels

Privacy policy