St. Alexis Church

Identifier
DZIELO/12580
Catalogue note author
Agata Felczyńska

History of work

At the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries, the construction plan of a church in Ponikiew appeared for the first time. Even the funds and necessary building materials were collected for this purpose in 1812, and in 1844, the land for the construction of the church and cemetery was designated. Finally, the temple was built in the years 1853-1858 on the initiative of father Aleksy Bocheński (the parish priest of the church in Wadowice since 1849) and from the funds of Count Maurycy Potocki from Zator. Emperor Franz Joseph I and his wife Elisabeth (called Sisi) and Emperor Frederic and his wife Zofia are also said to have supported the construction. The building was designed by a foreman Jaskółka (Jaskułka) from Wadowice and approved by a circular engineer Baudisch. The finished building was consecrated in 1859 by father Aleksy Bocheński and consecrated in 1864 by bishop Alojzy Józef Pukalski. In 1859 an organ made by Franciszek Riegier was inserted. In 1882 a tower was added, which was erected above the western façade. A treasury located over the sacristy was added three years later, as well as stairs leading to the tower and porch from the northern side. In 1922, the interior was covered with (no longer existing) polychrome created by Karol Palotyński, in 1950 the church was partially renovated and electrified, in 1979 the roofing was replaced and the building was plastered again, and in 1982 the roof was painted. Ponikiew has been an independent parish since 1994.

Abstract

The Church of Alexis in Ponikwia was raised over the period of 1853-1858 on the initiative of father Aleksy Bocheński and the funds of count Maurycy Potocki of Zator and the Austrian imperial couple. The project was prepared and supervised by a foreman Jaskółka (Jaskułka) of Wadowice. The entire interior dates back to the second half of the 19th or 20th centuries and attracts attention with the neo-baroque altars.

How to cite?

Agata Felczyńska, "St. Alexis Church", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2022, source:  https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/st-alexis-church

Privacy policy