Transfiguration of Jesus Church in Maków Podhalański

Parish
Transfiguration of Jesus parish in Maków Podhalański
Identifier
DZIELO/13868
Amount
1
Catalogue note author
Maria Działo

History of work

The first temple in Maków Podhalański was probably under the invocation of Saint Clement of Rome. The next wooden church was erected in the 16th century (consecrated in 1536). In 1590, parish priest Albert Dąbski placed the painting of Virgin Mary, famous for its graces and worshipped, inside the temple. The image was called Our Lady of Maków, and later the Patroness of Families. In the visitation records from 1602, the painting is referred to as "miraculous". Subsequent visitations also mention votives and silver dresses hanging around it (there were five of them in total). These gifts were confiscated twice by the Austrian partitioner, they were also stolen during World War II. Despite the aforementioned thefts, nearly three thousand votives survived. Among other things, they include nearly 300 expensive gold and silver items and 80 pieces of coral necklaces.
The third church was erected around 1700, right next to the old temple. At that time, the parish priest was father Andrzej Ziebrowski (the parish priest of Maków and Sidzina in 1683-1719). Father Ziebrowski did not order to have the old church of Saint Clement of Rome from the 16th century demolished, as it housed the painting of Virgin Mary. Instead, he built another one which invoked the Transfiguration of Jesus. The new church consisted of a masonry chancel, to which a masonry, Baroque chapel and a spacious, wooden nave were subsequently added. The temple was consecrated by bishop Kazimierz Łubieński in 1705. The painting was created in the old temple. It was not until 1745 that father Michał Karliński wrote a letter to the Cracovian ordinary to ask for permission to transfer the painting of Virgin Mary from the church of Saint Clement of Rome to the new temple. In response, the Cracow curia sent a decree, in which the painting was referred to as being "famous for its graces" and recommended that it be transferred in a celebratory manner. After the painting was moved, the unused church was demolished. In 1819-1836, father Jerzy Majerski was the parish priest in the churches in Maków and Sidzina. During his ministry in 1826-1828, the wooden temple nave was demolished, leaving only the masonry chancel with a chapel from 1697-1701. A new nave and a new front wall were built in its place. Thus reconstructed, the church was consecrated on 28 May 1833 by bishop Franciszek Pisztek. In the same year, Father Wojciech Blaszyński came to Maków as a vicar. Father Majerski died in Maków on 6 October 1842 and was buried at the cemetery near the church. At present, the temple houses the high altar made by Jan Obrochta in 1877 (in 1965 the altar was modified according to the design of Maciej Makarewicz). The door for the tabernacle, decorated with neo-Gothic ornaments, was built by Piotr Seip from Cracow. The main area of the altar features a painting depicting Madonna of Maków, a renowned object of worship. In addition, the temple has side altars from the second half of the 19th century, the pulpit from 1830/1831, Stations of the Cross from the first half of the 19th century, as well as numerous sculptures and paintings that were moved from previous temples in Maków Podhalański.

Abstract

The first temple in Maków Podhalański was probably named to invoke Saint Clement of Rome. The next, wooden church was erected in the 16th century (consecrated in 1536). In 1590, the parish priest Albert Dąbski brought the miraculous painting to the new, wooden church, which had been consecrated in 1536. This was the second church in Maków Podhalański. The third church was erected around 1700, right next to the old temple. At that time, the parish priest was father Andrzej Ziebrowski (the parish priest of Maków and Sidzina in 1683-1719). Father Ziebrowski did not order to have the old church of Saint Clement of Rome from the 16th century demolished, as it housed the painting of Virgin Mary. Instead, he built another one which invoked the Transfiguration of Jesus. The new church consisted of a masonry chancel, to which a masonry, Broque chapel and a spacious, wooden nave were subsequently added. The temple was consecrated by bishop Kazimierz Łubieński in 1705. The painting was created in the old temple. It was not until 1745 that father Michał Karliński wrote a letter to the Cracovian ordinary to ask for permission to transfer the "Virgin Mary" painting from the church of Saint Clement to the new temple. In response, the Cracow curia sent a decree, in which the painting was referred to as being "famous for its grace" and recommended that it be transferred in a celebrative manner. After the painting was moved, that unused church was demolished. In 1819-1836, father Jerzy Majerski was the parish priest in the churches in Maków and Sidzina. During his term in office, i.e. in 1826-1828, the wooden temple nave was demolished, leaving only the masonry chancel with a chapel from 1697-1701. A new nave and a new front wall were built in its place. Thus reconstructed, the church was consecrated on May 28, 1833 by bishop Franciszek Pisztek. The high altar was built by Jan Obrocha in 1877. Furthermore, multiple historical pieces of art can be found in the church.

How to cite?

Maria Działo, "Transfiguration of Jesus Church in Maków Podhalański", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2022, source:  https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/transfiguration-of-jesus-church-in-makow-podhalanski

Privacy policy