The Church of Saint Giles is the third temple in Giebułtów. The first was to be built by Władysław I Herman with his wife Judyta in 1082 as a vote for the offspring in honour of the saint. However, the church was destroyed on the order of the Bishop of Cracow, Jan Muskata, who was in conflict with Władysław Łokietek. The history of the creation of the second temple is unknown. We learn about its existence from the Peter’s Pence lists from the years 1325-1327. The temple was also mentioned in the records of the episcopal visitation of Jerzy Radziwiłł in 1598. It is described that the building consisted of a rectangular nave, a chancel with an apse and two symmetrical annexes: the sacristy and St. Anne's Chapel. The current church of St. Giles was built in the years 1600-1604. The extended temple was consecrated by the Bishop of Cracow Bernard Maciejowski on 8 September 1604. In front of the entrance to the church square, there is a bell tower built in the wall in the 1920s. For many years the church underwent numerous renovations and conservation works. In 1933, during one of the works, 63 coins from the 17th century were found bricked up in the wall. In 1987 the polychrome of the temple was renovated. In the years 1997-2000 all the altars in the church were restored, and in 2000 the shingles on the dome of the bell tower were replaced. According to Józef Łepkowski ("Przegląd zabytków przeszłości z okolic Krakowa" [An overview of historical monuments from the vicinity of Cracow], 1863), a fragment of a beam with the inscription "1082 (?)", which was to come from an older church and be indicative of the construction of the previous temple by Judith – wife of Władysław Herman, was placed on the chancel arcade. Later researchers mention that the inscription was painted over before 1906.
The Church of Saint Giles is the third temple in Giebułtów. The first was to be built by Władysław I Herman with his wife Judyta in 1082 as a vote for the offspring in honour of the saint. The current church was built in the years 1600-1604. The extended temple was consecrated by the bishop of Cracow Bernard Maciejowski on 8 September 1604. In front of the entrance to the church square there is a bell tower built on the wall in the 1920s. The church in Giebułtów is an example of the slow transformation of religious architecture from Gothic to Renaissance. The irregularity of the building indicates adaptations, perhaps to the foundations of an older temple. The body of the church presents a return to the gothic shape with a modest form based on medieval architectural traditions: the chancel closed with a semicircular, wider body, facade and porch crowned with stepped gables. On the other hand, the stone detail with a mannerist character is different from the church architecture (portal in the facade and portal lintel with foundation plaque from the south). The question of the temple funder is controversial and puzzling. Some researchers mention Jakub Tomaszowski of the Bończa coat of arms and Barbara Pisarska of the Szreniawa coat of arms; or Kasper Giebułtowski, owner of the village and church patron (died in 1625). Others indicate father Sebastian from Nagrodzieniec, a parish priest of the Collegiate Church of Saint Anne in Cracow. Inside the church there are several tombstones, but the limestone slab, transferred from the previous church with the image of Stanisław and Barbara Oraczkowski, is particularly interesting. It was built around 1477 or after 1490 (currently located on the southern wall of the nave). The temple also has an extremely valuable work, the painting of Madonna of Częstochowa placed in the high altar, according to the conservators' opinion, probably the oldest copy of the Częstochowa image. It is also worth paying attention to the two oldest sculptures located in the temple: the statue of the Mother of God from the second half of the 15th century, placed on a rood beam and Pensive Christ from the 16th century.
Maria Działo, "St. Giles' Church in Giebułtów", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2023, source: https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/st-giles-church-in-giebultow