St. Stephen's Church

Parish
Saint Stephen's parish in Lipnica Mała
Identifier
DZIELO/21884
Amount
1
Catalogue note author
Justyna Kuska

History of work

Currently existing church of St. Stephen's in Lipnica Mała is yet another religious building standing in this place. The first temple was built in 1804 as an extension of the 18th century chapel. It was a small, single-nave, stone building with a wooden tower covered with a baroque cupola. The service was celebrated by clergymen from the parish of St. Łukasz in Lipnica Wielka. A separate parish for Lipnica Mała was only erected in 1919. The administrator was priest Marcin Jabłoński. In the early 1930s, the small temple ceased to meet the growing needs of the Lipnica parish. At that time, the idea of ​​building a new church was taken. The design was performed by a well-known Krakow architect, the author of many religious buildings - Franciszek Mączyński. The foundations of the church were built in 1933, and in 1936 the construction of the chancel and the nave was completed. At the end of August 1939, on the eve of the outbreak of World War II, the construction of the church tower was completed. During the war, Father Józef Buroń began efforts for the church to be consecrated. In 1942 it was done by the delegate of the Bishop of Spisz Chapter priest Józef Slanicay. In subsequent years, the church's interior was enriched with new elements. In 1967, the wooden floor was replaced with terrazzo floor, and in 1982, on the initiative of parish priest Władysław Droździk, stained glass windows in the nave were installed and the interior of the temple was covered with new polychrome. The church in Lipnica Mała to the next priest, Andrzej Leśniak owes the extension by adding aisles and rebuilding the tower. The design of the church enlargement was made by architect Eugeniusz Gryglak, while the reconstruction of the tower was carried out according to the design of professor Witold Cęckiewicz from Krakow. The construction works were carried out in the years 1994–1999. In 2008, local artists – Magdalena and Marian Smreczak – created the high altar. In 2014, new stained glass windows were installed by Dariusz and Agata Loga. The consecration of the extended and renovated church in Lipnica Mała took place on May 21, 2016. The church was consecrated by cardinal Stanisław Dziwisz.

Abstract

The current St. Stephen's Church in Lipnica Mała is another sacred building located in this place. The first temple was built in 1804 as an extension of the 18th century chapel. The parish in Lipnica Mała was founded in 1919. In the early 1930s, the idea of ​​building a new church was taken. The design was made by Cracovian architect, Franciszek Mączyński. The foundations of the church were erected in 1933, the construction of the chancel and the main nave was completed in 1936, while the construction of the church tower was completed in 1939. In 1942, the building was consecrated by father Józef Slanicay – a delegate of the Spiš Chapter's bishop. In the 1990s, on the initiative of father Leśniak, the tower was rebuilt and the church was extended by adding side enaves. The project of extending the temple was designed by architect Eugeniusz Gryglak, while the reconstruction of the tower was carried out according to the design of professor Witold Cęckiewicz. The construction works were carried out in the years 1994–1999. In 2008, local artists – Magdalena and Marian Smreczak – created the high altar. In 2014, new stained glass windows were installed by Dariusz and Agata Loga. The consecration of the extended and renovated church in Lipnica Mała took place on May 21, 2016. The church was consecrated by cardinal Stanisław Dziwisz.

Other works from this year

How to cite?

Justyna Kuska, "St. Stephen's Church", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2021, source:  https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/st-stephens-church

Privacy policy