St. Peter and Paul the Apostles’ Church in Lachowice

Catalogue note author
Agata Felczyńska

History of work

The church was built in the years 1789-1792. The funds for this purpose were donated by Teresa Wielkopolska, née Sułkowska, the owner of the Sucha estate and by the parishioners. The temple was erected on the site of a cemetery chapel dating back to 1707, founded by Anna from Wielkopolska, née Lubomirska. In 1792, Ignacy Machayski, the parish priest of Sucha, consecrated the church, which was painted only in 1796. At the beginning of the 19th century, the furnishings of the temple was being completed. In 1836, when father Walenty Jabczon was the parish priest, the interior of the church was thoroughly renovated and a new organ was purchased from master Marcin Gracz from Pcim. In 1846, a peasant Jan Pieczara funded the Stations of the Cross painted by Antoni Krząstkiewicz which are located on arcatures. In 1855, the church was consecrated by bishop Józef Pukalski, and during the ceremony the relics of Saint Clement of Rome and St. Innocente were placed in the high altar. In the second half of the 19th and 20th centuries the church was renovated several times. In 1895, a new floor was laid and in 1903, the windows were replaced. In 1909 the ridge turret was reconstructed. In 1930, the altars were regilded and supplemented and the polychrome of the interior was renovated. It was later repeated in the years 1987-1989. In 1957, an electrical installation was made. In 1958, a bronze artistic company owned by Grzegorz Uruszczak in Cracow made a new tabernacle on the pattern of the old one. In the 1990s, conservation of the church's equipment and architectural detail was carried out.


The church in Lachowice was built in 1789-1792 from the funds of countess Teresa Wielopolska née Sułkowska and parishioners. The temple was built in the place of a cemetery chapel from 1707. The church represents the baroque wooden architecture with a rectangular nave, a narrower chancel with a sacristy, a tower from the west, ridge turret on the nave roof and arcatures. Most of the furnishings come from the early 19th century. However, it is worth paying attention to the 18th-century painting depicting the Madonna and the Child, which is a copy of the miraculous painting from nearby Rychwałd.

How to cite?

Agata Felczyńska, "St. Peter and Paul the Apostles’ Church in Lachowice", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2023, source:

Privacy policy