St. Joseph and the Child

Place
Gaj
Parish
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary parish in Gaj
Identifier
DZIELO/01296
Category
Picture
Catalogue note author
Paulina Kluz

Abstract

The parish priest Józef Michalec (1871-1882) commissioned the creation of the painting of St. Joseph for the sliding panel of the side altar. It was most probably made by Wojciech Eljasz around 1873. Saint Joseph was Mary's betrothed and guardian and protector of Jesus. He is, therefore, frequently depicted with Baby Jesus. The lily which he is holding is the symbol of his purity.

Persons related to work

How to cite?

Paulina Kluz, "St. Joseph and the Child", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2022, source:  https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/st-joseph-and-the-child-11

Privacy policy