The painting was created in the half of the 19th century. It is signed with a monogram "SV". Originally it was placed in the altar of Crucifixion, replaced by the reredos with a crucifix in 1899. The composition of the painting from Gaj is modelled on the work of Peter Paul Rubens - the central field of triptych in Chapel of the Arquebusiers, located in the cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Antwerp (1611-1614). The way of painting the characters from the scene depicting the Descent from the Cross in Gaj is completely individual.
Paulina Kluz , "Descent from the Cross ", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2022, source: https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/descent-from-the-cross-1