The high altar was built by Jan Obrocha in 1877. The door for the tabernacle, decorated with neo-gothic ornaments, was built by Piotr Seip of Cracow. The main area of the altar features a painting depicting Madonna of Maków, a renowned object of worship. The painting is a casual reproduction of the Madonna of Częstochowa. It does not however feature the characteristic face scars, and the colors of the painting are also different. During one of numerous conservation works, the date of 1590 was revealed, presumably indicating the year, in which the painting was created. It was not until 1745 that father Michał Karliński wrote a letter to the Cracovian ordinary to ask for permission to transfer the Virgin Mary painting from the old church of Saint Clement to the new temple. In response, the Cracow curia sent a decree, in which the painting was referred to as being "famous for its grace" and recommended that it be transferred in a celebrative manner.
Maria Działo, "High altar", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2022, source: https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/high-altar-59