Church tabernacle

Catalogue note author
Justyna Kuska


The parish church in Kamień was built in 1924-1927 according to the design of the Warsaw architect Zdzisław Mączeński. Initially, the furnishings of the temple were made of wooden altars from the temporary chapel demolished in the 1920s. Currently existing complex of alabaster altars with neo-Roman features, which includes the tabernacle in the altar of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, was created in 1937-1939. The altars in question were created by the "Żórawno" Alabaster Product Factory of Żórawno on the Dniester River (currently in Ukraine). This factory created the elements of interior design, including numerous projects of altars, pulpit, candlesticks or balustrades and wall cladding. In the first stage of works, the high altar was made, which was completed in the autumn of 1937. Subsequently, two side altars, a pulpit and a baptismal font were created, as well as a balustrade separating the chancel from the nave (removed in 1979), which were completed in February 1939. The completed furnishings set was consecrated on 8 July 1939.

How to cite?

Justyna Kuska, "Church tabernacle", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2024, source:

Privacy policy