The sculpture was created in the first half of the 20th century. It was placed in the main area of the side altar, which initial invocation (of Saint John the Baptist) was changed in 1936 to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. In 1956, the present sculpture was place in a niche designed by Wiktor Zin. It is an example of the most popular iconographic variant of this motif in art, particularly from the turn of the 19th and 20th century.
Maria Działo, "The sculpture of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2022, source: https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/the-sculpture-of-the-most-sacred-heart-of-jesus