Our Lady of the Rosary

Place
Gaj
Parish
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary parish in Gaj
Identifier
DZIELO/01276
Category
Picture
Amount
1
Catalogue note author
Paulina Kluz

Abstract

The painting of Our Lady of the Rosary may have been created around 1644 in connection with the founding of The Brotherhood of the Holy Rosary. Originally it was placed in the procession float. The image of Virgin Mary is based on the miracle-working icon "Salus Populi Romani" (Our Lady of the Snows) from the Santa Maria Maggiore basilica in Rome. It was frequently used rosary plays with slight changes to the iconographic pattern, for example displaying Mary with a rosary in her hand. The painting in Gaj, in its lower part, additionally illustrates members of the Brotherhood of the Holy Rosary - praying and worshipping Virgin Mary.

Other works from this year

How to cite?

Paulina Kluz , "Our Lady of the Rosary", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2021, source:  https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/our-lady-of-the-rosary-9

Privacy policy