The painting depicts the Our Lady of Perpetual Help – patroness of the sad and the needy. It was made in 1903 along with the entire structure of the high altar. The author of the altar is Tyrolean sculptor Ferdinand Stuflesser. The relief is inspired by the icon that according to the legend was painted by Eastern Orthodox painter S. Lazarro in 11th or 12th century. Currently, it is located in the Redemptorist Church of St. Alphonsus Liguori in Rome (nearby the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore). In the 19th century, the image was popularised by the Redemptorists, and then disseminated around the world.
Maria Działo, "Our Lady of Perpetual Help (painting)", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2023, source: https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/our-lady-of-perpetual-help-painting