Epitaph plaque of Antoni Żołędziowski

Identifier
DZIELO/23594
Amount
1
Catalogue note author
Józef Skrabski

Abstract

The epitaph belongs to a group of identical works created in the stonemasonry centre in Dębnik, near Cracow. Five such epitaph plaques were ordered by bishop Franciszek Potkański for the Wawel Cathedral in order to commemorate the dignitaries of distinguished service to the cathedral. In this way, Stanisław Chomentowski, the Voivode of Mazovia (d. in 1728) was honoured in 1786. Identical epitaph plaques – characterised by a rococo form, a subtle drawing, with campanula ornaments on the sides and an oval portrait crowned with an undulating cornice – commemorate Stanisław Hieronim Podkański at the Dominican Church in Cracow (around 1780), Ignacy Bieńkowski in the church in Kije (1793) and father Jan Józef Rygalski at the same St. Anne's Church. The author of the portrait on the epitaph plaque is unknown. It is possible that its prototype is a portrait of a distinguished academician by Tadeusz Kuntze-Konicz in the collection of the Jagiellonian University Museum from around 1767. The characteristic smiling facial expression, the plasticity of wig-like hair and a red cloak with an eagle on the chest are identical.

Persons related to work

How to cite?

Józef Skrabski, "Epitaph plaque of Antoni Żołędziowski", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2021, source:  https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/epitaph-plaque-of-antoni-zoledziowski

Privacy policy