Originally, the painting of Saint Stephen was located in the church of Saint Catherine in Krzeszów, built in 1613-1615 and funded by Piotr Komorowski. Then, it was moved the the old church to the new one. Saint Stephen is the first christian martyr. The author is unknown as he/she left only a date of the work in the bottom right corner "1663". He is also undoubtedly the author of two other 17th-century canvases in the Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Krzeszów, "The Marriage of the Holy Family" and "The Holy Family".
Maria Działo, "Martydom of Saint Stephen (painting)", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2021, source: https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/martydom-of-saint-stephen-painting