St. Florian

Parish
Raciborowice
Identifier
DZIELO/05964
Category
Picture
Amount
1
Catalogue note author
Paulina Kluz

Abstract

The paintings located in back choir-stalls in the chancel were created in the first half of the 19th century. In 1528, a fire consumed the entire Kleparz (currently a district of Cracow), except for the St. Florian church. This miraculous event spread the cult of this saint across Poland, as a patron who provided protection from the fire. Therefore, in the iconography, he is depicted in the attire of a Roman soldier, most often with a vessel (a small wooden tub) filled with water, putting out a fire.

Persons related to work

How to cite?

Paulina Kluz, "St. Florian", [in:] "The Sacred Lesser Poland Heritage", 2022, source:  https://sdm.upjp2.edu.pl/en/works/st-florian-5

Privacy policy